xRecurseDiff is a small program that can rapidly traverse entire directory trees to show different version of the same files, for example to compare
different version of the same project.
For every file in the first directory searches in the second for files
having the same name. A report containing results is shown. A detailed diff output can be shown. Search can be case-insensitive and limited by a char filter.
In "library" working mode it compares only files basenames, while in "project" mode it compares relatives paths too.
In "files" working mode it compares directly two files.
Starting from v1.4 the two starting paths can be written on command line.
For the diff output xRecurseDiff uses the nice DiffView widget, extracted from
Many thanks to Michael Sweet
(and to open source philosophy).
NOTE: xRecurseDiff works, but is still a develop version. Notes, bugreports,
and feedbacks are welcome.
(*1): Source package includes projects files for Dev-Cpp (win32) and Anjuta (Linux).
(*2): Includes GNU diff for win32 that comes from GNUwin32 project. Last version of this
and other GNU tools for windows can be found here.
(*3): Starting from v1.6 the windows package includes the icon (thanks to Antonis Tassis).
Binary need diff command
to compile from sources fltk v1.1.6 library is needed
- Extract archive:
tar xzf xRecurseDiff-x.x.tgz
- Enter in the new directory:
- Link the correct language file:
ln -s lang/xrdstrings-lang.h xrdstrings.h
or copy the correct language file:
cp lang/xrdstrings-lang.h xrdstrings.h
- Test the program:
- Copy in the path (you must be root):
cp xrecursediff /usr/local/bin/
Note on Windows version
Diff command for windows is available from GnuWin32 (windows port of GNU tools). To install from binary package simply extract the .zip in a appropriate directory (for example C:/Program Files).
- 2013/05/21 : Removed redirection to /dev/null in system (cause error in return value)
- 2009/11/23 : Fixed a bug with very big directories, interface improvement
- 2008/05/05 : German translation (Thanks to Christian Schenk)
- 2007/06/13 : Exclude filter (reverse matching)
- 2006/09/18 : The list of results is now highlited with different colors, file mode now can show differences in directories contens too.
- 2006/03/21 : Added direct-file mode, enhanced error catching, added path on comand line
- 2006/02/16 : Restyled windows with double working mode
- 2006/01/24 : Added relative path comparison
- 2005/11/12 : Added windows version
- 2005/11/11 : Added nice DiffView, from flDiff (c)2005 Michael Sweet
- 2005/11/08 : Added english version
- Show date somewhere
- Binary files analysis (pictures in particular)
- Autoinstall package for Windows
- Translations (currently italian, english and german)
Note: you only have to translate xrdstrings.h in your language and send it to me!